Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Latest Bloodwork Results -- Back On Treatment!

Doc called this afternoon (following a call from me). My HGH count is above 10 and the WBC is, I believe 1500. He put me back on. I'm to start with a reduced Ribavirin dose, but the Interferon is the full load (consistent with what I've been reading about fixed dosing of Interferon vs. reduced dose -- the fixed dose party seems to be winning that argument).

We did have a conversation about my concerns. I said to him (in essence) that I trust his judgment and have been following instructions to the letter. But I also read and question. I work in a very fast-moving field and it's not unusual at all for developments to pass me by. I can certainly understand that this is also a very narrow and fast-moving field. He didn't say anything legible, but made agreeable noises. Certainly nothing that would look bad on a deposition. That's another downside of American medicine (outside of the issues of who gets insured and how, a topic I refuse to be drawn into) -- everybody's got a lawyer.

Honestly, I do trust this guy -- he comes too highly recommended to write off. And, to his credit, I notice that he took action consistent with what I'm reading in current literature. In other words, it appears that he's done some reading and possibly some outside consulting. Which is what I was looking for to begin with.

I asked about how the gap in treatment might affect me. He points out that I've been off for less than three weeks and pointed out the slow-moving nature of the bug. Over a 48 week course, it should make little difference. I hope he's right (but meanwhile, we're taking measures to keep me on treatment).

I'm back in full-force. The shot I took tonight replaces last Friday, and he wants me to do it again on Saturday or Sunday, then move back to my usual Friday routine. Meanwhile, I'm to continue the Procrit and Neupogen and get my blood monitored weekly. After next week, he said I would probably go to a full dose of Ribavirin.

I'm the definition of mixed emotions. I have come out of the cloud enough to realize how crummy I felt and I've been kicking and screaming to get back in. Damned whiny Interferon patients! No satisfying them!

I'll need to find a suitable quotation regarding mixed emotions, but it's too late to go trolling the Internet. In any case, back on track. I've already got the lead-like Interferon taste in my mouth. To bed before this stuff comes on stronger!

No comments: