Thursday, May 11, 2006

Late Week 17 Check-In



I've been spending some time on a couple of support boards. I recommend them both. One, http://hepcassoc.org/messbrd/ is kind of U.S.-centric, but with a fair amount of Canadians. The other, http://www.ronmetcalfe.com/hepcforum/, is hosted out of the U.K. There is a good deal of overlap between the boards. I found that Carol, who raised concerns about my earlier misunderstanding of my treatment plan, is Mrs. Ron of ronmetcalfe.com. So this is a pretty tight-knit little club.

Another blog I've been reading lately is http://www.hepcboy.com/. Another Englishman. He's been kind enough to post a comment or two here. I really like his British stiff upper lip. The best bit of wisdom I've picked up there regards self-discipline. "Be your own tyrant!" He's facing some challenges with his treatment, but doing it with good humo[u]r and a measure of courage.

It's helpful having folks around -- even in virtual space -- who understand what's going on. I feel like anyone who hears me talk about it is going to think I'm whining. My friend Bob checked in with me yesterday. He has pointed out some of the weird little side-effects and occurrences that go with treatment. The taste changes (which he pointed out unprompted) are driving me nuts. The lunch meat I've been making my lunchtime sandwich with for years suddenly seems like it's soaking in brine. I skipped lunch today because nothing looked good. Just ate some cereal and nibbled fruit all afternoon. Dinner was good -- scrambled eggs and hash brown potatoes.

The physical effects are certainly present. I think I've just gotten used to being tired. My son wanted to go to the gym and I figured it's time. He's getting all pumped up for football and didn't think he got enough time in the weight room. He went off and worked on his legs while I spent a half-hour or so on an elliptical trainer. It's easy on the knees and it's easy to vary the intensity. After that I did some stretches and a some light weight work. I'm feeling much better now. My back has been bothering me; that's usually a sign that I'm being too sedentary. Before we left I got on a scale and found that I've lost about five pounds. I'd been working out pretty steady before treatment. Weight is getting redistributed the wrong way.

The physical side-effects are an annoyance, but what's really bugging me these days is the emotional effects. A maudlin country song can make me tear up. My daughter's cockatiel bolted last week and I'm all bummed out. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. We're going to talk about exercise (I need more -- I'd been avoiding the gym on his orders) and anti-depressants. I'm also having some attention problems. I'm easily distracted and the things I need to pay attention to (like maybe WORK!!??!!) don't hold my attention. I suspect I've always been a little on the ADD side. I suspect I'm like I've always been, only more so.

I'm rambling. That's something else -- once I get into something, I won't let it go. Time for bed. Work tomorrow. Doc. Hey! An outing!

Best to all.

2 comments:

carol said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind comments about Ron Metcalfe's forum. Unfortunately you have married me off to the wrong man! Nice as Ron is, I prefer Martin my husband. It is a bit confusing though, Ron is also married to a Carol.
Hep C Boy, what a man. I hold him in high regard, and a 'virtual' friend.
Don't worry your taste for the lunch meat will return. Tastes can change daily, a nightmare for anyone who might be cooking for you. You may find that spicey foods are best left alone for a while. Some cooking smells amongest others can also be a problem.

Carol

Chris said...

Hi Carol -- I'm easily confused -- even more so, these days! Sorry to marry you off to the wrong fellow! Thanks for strightening me out AGAIN!!. That's life in an ASCII world. Everybody's handwriting looks alike!

Best,

Chris