Thursday, May 25, 2006

Got The Goods!


I picked up my Procrit and Neupogen and took them last night. Both are packaged in single-dose vials and you have to fill a syringe -- a first for me. The pre-filled interferon syringes are so much better! Not only are they handier (getting that last mililiter into the syringe is a bear!), I swear they're sharper. Perhaps pushing through the rubber stopper dulls it just a bit. Anyway, I have to do the Neupogen 3x a week and the Procrit once a week. I hate needles! But the interferon has been pretty good training. I awoke with a headache, but haven't noticed anything else I'd consider a side-effect. I've been warned about diarrhea and bone pain. Another plus for working from home!

I was shocked at the cost of these drugs -- around US$3000 for each! Next time I move around some investment money (not that there's a lot of it), I'm going to pick up some pharma stocks. Fortunately I have good insurance. Lord knows that over the years I've paid enough into the system. And keeping me on treatment will hopefully save the expense and trouble of dealing with complications!

I talked with my general practitioner last night. He believes I'm raising legitimate questions and is going to talk with the GE. The GE that I'm seeing is a doctor's doctor. My GP sends his own family to this guy for colonoscopies and such. In any case I expect to talk further and may get a referral for a consult.

Meanwhile I've been off tx for 12 days. I'm not happy about that, however some current papers I've seen in www.hivandhepatitis.com suggest that I'm still a good candidate to clear the virus due to the fact that I started treatment with low liver damage (some inflamation, mild scarring, no cirrhosis), and that I have genotype 4 rather than 1.

Now to get back on the horse!

2 comments:

carol said...

Great news Chris, nice to have you back on treatment.
If you do get the dreaded diarrhea try Loperamide (Imodium), it won't affect the treatment and works well, so we found!
Take care,

Carol

Sue, Toronto said...

Congratulations Chris! You have to be the poster boy for responsible self-directed health care. Seriously, am totally impressed with your taking control of your own health, educating your physician and not settling for less than what can be done. Is brilliant.

Hope that your blood counts respond swiftly to the neupogen and procrit. Very glad to hear you've got such a good insurance plan! All best wishes,
Sue