Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Week Sixteen


I've been spending some time over in the Hep C Association forums. If you aren't familiar with it, it's a good resource. I'm cwk on that forum.


I posted a question regarding my treatment plan (two-week interruption at Week 24 for evaluation and viral load test). It generated a number of questions there, just as it did from Carol. I have a call into my doctor's office to go over those questions. I haven't had a Week 12 viral load test, and the plan to interrupt treatment for two weeks stirred some concern. This just goes to show that it's a good idea to manage your own care. The doctor wants to be in control, but I'm viewing him as a consultant and advisor.


I took shot number sixteen about 14 hours late. My wife and I had gone to the resort where we were married twenty years ago and frankly, I really didn't feel like dragging needles and sharps containers with me on a romantic getaway. The idea just did something to the mood.


It was a good trip -- just an overnight. The restaurant was the highlight. We spent over US$100 in the restaurant and that's without wine (which I really would have liked, but obviously I'm on the wagon). I had a swordfish steak and she had halibut. Truly an amazing dinner.


I'm feeling pretty good this week. I had some concentration problems yesterday. It seems like Monday is my day for congnitive issues lately. I'm a little better off today, but I don't think this is a good time to take up a new skill.


I mentioned Bob, who went through the program some four years ago. He called me again on Saturday just checking in. Interesting guy and very encouraging to talk with. He has tipped me off to several side-effects. One is the funny metallic taste (he calls it lead-like, I think of zinc) that I have in my mouth. He says that post-treatment one of the things that has stayed with him is an appreciation for good food, well prepared. Having a taste for good food, I was pleased to hear that. I suspect I may have a similar experience.

Bob says that he usually has one or two people in his queue that he checks in regularly with and talks them through treatment. When this is over I intend to return Bob's favor by helping others in the same situation.


Cheers, all.

No comments: