Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My doctor just called


I've been operating under a misconception. My doc has no intention to stop treatment for two weeks at Week 24 as I thought. Once I'm on treatment, I'm on for at least 24 weeks, and hopefully 48. If I'm not in or near remission at Week 24, treatement stops and I look for alternatives.


The lack of a 12-week viral load test is a bit of gamesmanship with the insurance companies. He has had patients who failed to achieve a Log-2 drop in viral load at 12 weeks and their insurance company refused to pay for continued treatment. He believes that everyone should get a minimum of 24 weeks regardless because of the therapeutic effect of giving the liver a break. He said that in my case in particular, he wants to continue treatment since my liver enzyme levels are and have been normal since about Week 3.


So far so good. Thanks, Carol for flagging this and helping me get straightened out.

2 comments:

carol said...

Thanks Chris,

That's put my mind at rest.
Best of luck,

Carol

Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Chris,

Very pleased to hear that your physician is sticking to the standard treatment regime. Also understand the rationale behind skipping the 12 week testing - have heard some nasty stories about insurance companies in in the US cancelling funding after testing reveals the 2 log drop not achieved.

The retreat with your wife sounds wonderful! What a great concept under any circumstances, and particularly to get away from the general treatment routine. I can definitely vouch for the increased appreciation of food post-treatment.

All best wishes to you and your family,
Sue