Saturday, June 17, 2006

Interferon Shot 20, Week 22

First, Son's status report. We got into the doc on Monday afternoon. He declared it a Salter Type 2 fracture. There is some growth plate involvement, but chances of a full recovery without complications are excellent. They brought him in the following day to have it reduced further; the emergency room doc had been able to get it close to the right spot, but stressed that it needed further attention. Son now has a splint -- two plaster half-shells wrapped in an Ace bandage. He'll get a regular cast next week. I'm tempted to pay the extra expense for a waterproof cast with a Goretex lining. He'll still be working out for football and the sweat will be pretty intense. It'll be worth that to save the smell, not to mention the whining/whinging (I love the UK version of that word!).

So, son was able make it to church camp, which assuaged some of the bitterness for him. somebody else was going up late and he got a ride. They all got back today tired, sunburned, and apalled at the heat. A week at 7,000 feet/2,133 meters altitude will do that. He and Young Friend from the ER trip are now settled in front of a movie.

I took the last out-of-sequence IFN shot this morning. Next week, I'll be back on my Interferon Friday schedule. I'm now taking five shots per week:
  • Tuesday: Neupogen

  • Wednesday: Procrit

  • Thursday: Neupogen

  • Friday: Interferon

  • Saturday: Neupogen
With near-daily shots, I'm having to keep track of where I've poked recently. This is a hassle, but I feel so much better! The only real side effect I'm feeling is a bit of fatigue, the funny taste, and some achiness.

My wife's car had a problem today -- the alternator went out. We have extra kids here and we really need that car. I did it myself to just get it done, and to save the couple hundred bucks that taking it to the mechanic would cost. It took about an hour and everything went smoothly. I guess I'm not suffering too many sides. Last month I wouldn't have even attempted it. I doubt I'd have had enough strength to loosen the bolts!

No comments: