Friday, June 09, 2006

So Far So Good


Had an appointment with the Doc today. He had the results from my latest blood test. The blood boosters seem to be doing their thing. My RBC count is over 15 (low normal), WBC is at 18,000 (also on the low end of normal). I've seen no unpleasant side-effects from the Procrit. The itching I reported when I first started seems to have subsided. I do have some joint pain especially in my knees, plus inside the top of my pelvis and in my forearms. That's consistent with the Neupogen's side-effects. It's an annoyance, but no worse than soreness from a hard workout at the gym, just strangely located inside my bones, rather than in my muscles.

Meanwhile, the bug seems to be at bay. ALT and AST (liver enzymes) are both in the 25 - 27 range, well within the normal range. No abdominal swelling or discomfort.

Meanwhile, the side-effects from the meds are apparent, but comparatively mild. I'm getting those annoying little cracks on the corners of my mouth and my detractors scurrilously allege that I'm irritable. But my detractors allege that about me anyway. Really, I don't think I'm any more irritable than most folks when the temps are in the 106° F/41° C range. I've found it easy to vent most of my irritation while driving. I've given up yelling, I just enjoy the surge of adrenalin the clench of my jaw.

With that in mind, I present:

Rules of driving in Phoenix summers:

  1. Assume the other driver is armed.
    Many of us are.... Which may explain why "Road Rage" incidents are relatively rare in Phoenx, or are at least short.

  2. A car with the windows rolled down has the right of way
    It's obvious that the air conditioner is broken. See Rule 1 above.

  3. It is permissible to wait for a red light under an overpass as long as said waiting occurs reasonably close to said red light.
    "Reasonably close" means within sight. Unless the waiting car has its windows rolled down, in which case the car may wait under any underpass for any red light. See Rule 2 above. And never forget Rule 1.

  4. During the month of May northbound HOV (High-Occupancy Vehicle) lanes are reserved for motor homes and fifth-wheel trailers with Northern plates.
    Stay out of their way, they left late for reasons beyond their control and just want to get home before it gets above 105.


  5. Premium Parking is any spot with shade within a half-mile of a business or establishment.
    Avoid arguments or confrontations over Premium Parking (see Rule 1).


  6. After 2:00 PM, he spot immediately east of a Hummer is Premium Parking.
    The acres of sheet metal provide very tolerable shade from the afternoon sun.

  7. It is forbidden to immmobilize a Hummer in order to obtain Extended Premium Parking.
    It is also unwise. See Rule 1 above.


No comments: