Thursday, February 16, 2006

Saw the gastro doc yesterday


I'm anemic. No surprise there. When the girl took my blood pressure my heart rate was around 120. "What'd you do? Power-walk here?" Uh, no. I mosied from the parking lot to the elevator and sat in the waiting room for 10 minutes before I mosied in here. My hemaglobin level is 9. Normal is 14. The doc says it's like being down 3 pints of blood.

That explains the fatigue. Dead tired. Yet, I haven't been sleeping well. The doc prescribed a light dose of Elavil. I took one tiny white tab at 8:00 PM and was groggy by 10:00. I actually slept last night, but the trouble is, I slept today too. About three hours on the couch. Tough to work like that.

Encouraging news as well. My liver enzymes are back to normal -- I didn't get the numbers. But I know they were trending that way from the last test. The doc raised the possibility that this might might be a 24-week course. I have Genotype 4 which is recommended for 48 weeks, but it's a comparatively new genotype and they may be following the more aggressive protocol as a fail-safe. I have mixed emotions. If I stop after 24 weeks and relapse, I'd be facing another 48 weeks. Not something I would look forward to. I'm leaving the whole matter on the back burner. I haven't made it through the fifth week yet!

2 comments:

carol said...

Hi Chris,
Hemaglobin at that level would mean a reduction here in the UK.
Best of luck for hopefully might be a 24 week course.

Carol

Elizabeth Anne said...

Hi Chris,

Hang in there. I know how tired and dragged out it makes you feel. One foot in front of the other and get through the days. Thinking of you often and wishing you the best.

Anne