Saturday, February 04, 2006

Beginning Week Four


Friday was not a good day. It was weird. I was not in pain, not overly tired, nothing, yet I felt just lousy. Uncomfortable. I'm wondering if it wasn't the depression thing that I've heard about.

Friday is shot night, so that may have been a factor. I have to get my head real straight -- last week I had some trouble with the syringe. The genius that designed it made the needle cover fit tighter than the needle fits on the syringe. Consequently, the needle came loose as I was injecting. I had to pull out and reattach the needle before injecting again. Probably a no-no, but I survived. Then as I got down to the bottom I realized I hadn't purged the air -- this as I'm hearing the bubbble entering the needle. Stop pull out. Not enough left to make any nevermind.

This time was better. I went more systematically and made a point of detaching the needle cover and replacing it loosely before attaching it to the barrel of the syringe. Everything went smoothly, but it still creeps me out. It goes against some pretty deep-level conditioning to point a sharp object at one's person and jab!

Today I've felt pretty good. I put some drip irrigation in the front planter (I live in the Sunny Southwest -- we haven't had rain in over 100 days). It's light work playing with 1/4-inch hose and little drip emitters. I kept a glass of water at hand and didn't push it. My older daughter (17) came out and hung out with me. She's good company. This evening I walked the dog down to the corner drugstore -- half-mile round trip. Last month it would have been nothing to run two miles. I'm not complaining, but it's going to be a chore to get back in shape.

Time for meds and bed. Sunday is usually rough. We'll see.

1 comment:

Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Chris,

Needle mishaps are most disconcerting. I used the redipens and on an early injection, one sort of blew up, with all the contents exploding into the air - almost fainted. Got another out of the fridge and did it. Company replaced "misfiring" unit. Agree that it's very difficult to stick sharp object into oneself. Also think that, on a psychological level, it's hard to do something to ourselves that we know is going to make us feel lousy, at least in the short term.

I also had difficulty with aerobic exercise during treatment. Stuck to yoga and stayed in pretty good shape. Figure the meditative aspects didn't hurt either...

Sunny southwest sounds pretty fine - it's snowing here. Enjoy the warmth. Best wishes for good days to come. Water, eat, sleep.
Sue