Friday, August 18, 2006

Shot Number 30 Down!


Eighteen to go. This is feeling more and more like a countdown.

I got a call from Doc on Friday. He had the results of past week's blood test. I'm still in the same borderline low range I was in last week. His suggestion is to gut it out. If he thinks I can, I guess I better gut it out. I raised so much blasphemy over being off treatment I'd rather not reduce the dose. But I have to confess I'm mightily tempted to take two Ribas rather than three tonight.

I missed my Neupogen shot Thursday -- got busy with work. I was on back-to-back phone calls from 5:00 AM until 1:00 PM (The joys of living on Western time while working with folks on Eastern and UK time). It wasn't quite as bad as it sounds. About half of it I didn't have to be completely engaged, but some of it did get pretty intense. Since I was shifting shot times, I decided to put off the Interferon until Saturday night. I had a bunch of house chores stacked up -- a lawn irrigation system that was acting up, my son's room taken apart for a new bed and shelving, but only partially put back together.

The biggest obstacle was the shelves. We took a ride down to the other side of town -- 25 miles -- to the Ikea store. What a nightmare! It was like Disneyland. I hate being herded and Ikea on a Saturday afternoon is all about the herd experience. I felt like all my nerve endings were sitting on top of my skin.

A Miracle Healing


No time for sides today. My son woke up dreaming of somebody shooting him with a watergun. Turns out his ceiling fan had water dripping off of it. The girls' bathroom is above his room. Uh-oh. Check it. The floor was wet around the toilet. Good! The fresh water supply line was wet. At least we don't have a sewer leak! I turned off the water to the toilet and dried the floor. Get everyone up, go to church. Home from church and turned the water back on in the girls' bathroom. No leak. It got well! It's been healed! I still don't know whether someone spilled something or if there's an intermittent leak.

We'd been talking about replacing Son's ceiling fan and light, so he and I went over to the local Home Depot and found a fan. It's not bad installing a fan if there's already one properly installed. I swapped it out without much trouble, but then the thing wouldn't turn. Bad motor. Home Depot exchanged it. The new one is pretty noisy, but it's a $50 fan. We'll see if it doesn't quiet down.

The Roach


Finally, after all the fun, I'm settled down on the couch with the wife. Older daughter was in the kitchen and suddenly let out a shriek. She ran into the family room and dived into the middle of her daddy who is, of course, here to protect her.

A few weeks ago Younger Daughter's kitten brought a two-inch roach into the house -- a playmate for the lonely times of the day. I nearly caught it, but it proved too fast. The Roach made several subsequent appearances, always for the benefit of the females in the house. Since the light was always poor, I'd begun to question whether they were actually seeing a roach. But there was no mistaking this time. Like Brawny Man, I grabbed a paper towel and girded myself for battle. Sure enough, there it was beneath a low trivet on the counter. Mr. Roach wasn't quite so fast this time. I got him in the towel and gave him a good squish.

Now, my wife is nearly as phobic of six-legged varmints as her daughter. But she wanted to identify the body. I opened the towel so she could see. You've seen the horror movie where the bad guy just won't stay dead? You got it -- Mr. Roach jumped out of the towel, leaving some of his guts behind. Fortunately, he didn't get far, else I'd still be roach hunting.

To bed. Seven o'clock call, plus I'm liable to be feeling the usual Sunday sides tomorrow.

No comments: