Sunday, August 27, 2006

Countdown -- Shot Thirty-one: Seventeen to go!


I took Shot 31 on Friday morning rather than the evening as I usually do. I have to travel on business this week and wanted to minimize the residual side effects I typically feel on Monday. I didn't notice much in the way of side effects after I took the shot other than a mild headache. I got to bed by 11:00 (early for me, I have a bad habit of staying up too late). I knew it was going to be a rough morning when I had to get up and take Son to football practice at 5:30 AM. My head was ringing. I got up, made sure he was moving, and drank some juice while he got ready. No coffee, I wanted to get some more sleep. Got to get the bicycle fixed! I went back to bed and slept nearly four more hours hoping that the hangover would go away. It didn't. When I got up I was as headachy and dehydrated as I'd been at 5:30. Breakfast, ibuprofen, and many cups of coffee later I was beginning to feel human. Several chores, but nothing heavy. Nonetheless, when I finished them I felt like I'd done something.

As post-shot sides go, this week wasn't bad. I'm going to shift to Friday mornings on a regular basis. I don't recommend it for someone new to treatment, but once it all blurs together into one big blah, it might be a way to get a few more useful hours.

I've been having problems with congestion which is exacerbated by the dehydration. I've been hacking and coughing and hawking up horrible things. Older Daughter asked if I had a hairball the other day. Close to it. One of my net.friends suggested goat's milk as it has less lactose than cow's milk. I decided to pass on that. When travelling in Northern Arizona many years ago I had breakfast at a cafe on the Navajo Reservation. I ordered a glass of milk along with my pancakes. The milk tasted fine -- until I exhaled. Then this musky flavor that I can only describe as goatish followed. I drank it, but I haven't touched it since. Instead, I tried soy milk. There's a brand called "Silk" which I'd had before. It's not bad. What I'm noticing is that I have much less congestion. My singing daughters reaction: "Duh! Why do you think we can't have dairy before a concert?" I'd always thought it was just at tale told by control-freak choir directors.

Son update

He came home all jazzed last week. They've made him a starting running back. For those who don't follow American football, that's one of the guys who stands behind the line and either carries the ball or protects the quarterback if he's throwing. Either way, he's a target. His mother was especially thrilled to hear it. His arm is mending, but still weak. He's wearing a brace and taping it. That isn't helping his ball handling. He caught a pass last week and jammed a pinky finger. Might be broken. The treatment for a broken finger is exactly the same as a sprained finger. More tape. The universal cure. He's spending a few days of practice running.

The blue van is coming tomorrow at 6:00 AM. It's going to be a long week. A class and meetings. My work has been great about not pressing me to travel, this in a job that could easily be 50 percent travel. I reckon it's time to pay the piper. Besides, I need the class and, I need to meet these people I've been working with for more than a year.

One of my blogger-heroes Hep C Boy alway signs off with something inspirational. I'm not feeling inspired at the moment. Need to work on that.

No comments: