Saturday, March 04, 2006

Week Eight


Saturday Afternoon. Took my shot last night. This is usually the time I start fading. I've been up since around 9:30 doing chores -- light stuff, mostly directing my son and a buddy of his. It's now almost 4:30 PM and I'm still somewhat functional, although tired. Way better than last week. I finished off my second box of IFX (or whatever the Hep C cognoscenti abbreviate it to). I'm one-sixth of the way there. The shot was almost routine. My head was clearer as I went through the process and my hands weren't shaking. I'm almost used to it. Maybe that's over-stating it. But at least it doesn't freak me out like it did the first few times.

Ran into a neighbor at a school function on Friday. We had told her about my problem. She and her husband went to give blood last week. She got a nice thank-you card, but he got this manila envelope. Yup. He has Hep C. I need to buy stock in Roche (company that makes Pegasys). By the end of this decade there will be few people who don't know at least one or two people with this disease. Got to call him. I won't sugar-coat it -- this is no fun. But there's worse things to face.

1 comment:

Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on a sixth of treatment completed! Agree with your treatment assessment for your neighbour - it's not fun, but there are definitely worse things out there. Also agree that the number of people affected by hepc is huge. This is the chronic viral disease of our time.

Excellent that week eight sides are less intense - hope that things continue in this manner for you and that the time passes quickly.
Sue