Monday, October 17, 2005

Questions


  • I heard that one of the sides is bone density loss. A friend lost the crowns off his teeth. What can prevent that? Calcium supplements? Other dietary things?

  • I doubt that I will feel like it, but will pushing myself to exercise help? Hurt? I'm thinking about a guy I knew in high school with mononucleosis who damaged his spleen(?) by forcing himself through a football workout.

  • I've heard about the depression and about the idea of anti-depressants. Frankly, those drugs scare me too -- I've heard too many Prozac horror stories.
If you have an answer, post it. I'm putting these in my notebook that I take to the doc.

3 comments:

carol said...

Hi
Just found your site, and will be reading it from now on.
My husband has Hep C and will also contact you shortly. He has had the virus about the same length of time as you and is at present on treatment.
Stay in touch by Martin's web site.
Carol

MartinB said...

Hi There!

Welcome to blogging, and to the world of Hep C although that is not much to be welcome to! I'm Martin from the UK, also with Hep C (Genotype 1) and 23 weeks into my third treatment, and found your blog by accident! I'll try and answer a few of your questions, and point you to some helpful sites.
I don't think that treatment causes bone density loss, but I did have teeth crumble on a very early treatment. I suspect that it is more related to anaemia, and as far as I know it is not preventable.

Exercise on treatment if fine so long as you are gentle about it. Jonathan Colam, another UK Blogger swam a mile a day all through treatment, and was fitter during treatment than most people are normally. See http://www.hepcfight.blogspot.com

You are right to be wary about anti-d's on treatment. It seems that you are better without them if at all possible.

Sites you might find helpful are:-
http://hepcassoc.org/
(US Hepatitis C Association) particularly the VOICES forum at the bottom of the page.

http://www.ronmetcalfe.com/hepcforum/
UK forum where you will find me and may others.

http://www.theboltons.plus.com

My Site!

Best wishes,
Martin

Elizabeth Anne said...

Hello, Just found the blog through Martin and Ron's forum. Just wanted to wish you the best. I hope you join the forum or at least come and read. You'll find lots of us there in the same boat as you.