Monday, October 17, 2005

I clued the kids in today. My wife had already talked to our son. His attitude has been that of a 14-year-old lately. Understandable, being as how that's what he is. She basically said she expected him to step up. I had a few minutes with my older daughter (16). She knows what this stuff is -- a guy we go to church with has been fighting Type 1 for years. He's a potential candidate for transplant. Hopefully it won't come to that.

I told my younger daughter (11), unfortunately as I was tucking her in. Probably not the best time tactically, but it was when I was able. We do a little prayers-and-song thing that the other two have outgrown (she has too, but she likes it). Heck I was doing it with the other two -- yes, my son too -- when they were 12. Anyway, I prefaced it with both of them that I fully intend to be around for many years to come and then gave it to her in general terms. She cried a little but I stayed with her and let her know it's going to be okay. Sure hope I'm telling the truth.



I just got back from a run. Took it easy. Ran a bit more than mile and then walked back. I'm really hopeful that I have enough reserve in the tank that the treatments won't put me down too badly. The gastro doc's office called today to set up the liver biopsy. Boy, I can hardly wait for that. I'm looking forward to it almost as much as I'm looking forward to my colonoscopy next month. That's totally unrelated and would be happening if I were 100%. I lost my dad to colon cancer last year and I'm overdue. Hopefully all the Grape-Nuts cereal and whole-wheat has paid off.

No comments: