Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Suburban Mom" says...



suburban mom said...
update:
I am genotype 3a and I saw the GI doctor yesterday. He was very encouraging. I will most likely start treatment after Christmas.

Your time frame is similar to mine. Yes, good idea to wait until after Christmas. A poster on one of the forums commented that treating Hep C is not an emergency. It's a slow bug. That's both a blessing and curse. It's slow and insidious. More like a leak in the basement than a fire in the attic. Frankly, it's much better suited to the state of our medical arts. You have time to put things in place. I'd suggest getting long term disability insurance lined up if that's an option. That, and getting regular blood tests were the only overt actions I took when I learned I had been exposed to the bug.

Note that I say I learned I was exposed to it -- I never had a viral load test or showed any symptoms until August of 2005. I had a life insurance questionnaire that asked whether I had ever been diagnosed with any liver disease. I accurately answered in the negative. I had never received a diagnosis. I knew I had been exposed, but at the time I filled out the form I had no symptoms and was, as far as I could tell, virus-free. Maybe I split hairs, but I think it was an accurate statement.

'Burb Mom, having genotype 3a, you're in a lucky group. It typically indicates a 24-week treatment, although that may change with your situation. Basically, your bug is easier to kill, so be thankful small favors. As we head into October, typically the time that Americans make their insurance arrangements, you might also consider putting some extra dollars in a health care reimbursement account. Better to pay for the likely extra medical expenses with untaxed dollars.

Good luck with treatment. I'll be following your blog, so keep it updated.

Chris

5 comments:

suburban mom said...

Thanks chris. It's nice to have someone out there that has gone through this. I have told a couple of friends (since they help with the kids when I go to the doc at the last minute). I have told my sister (she's a FP doctor) and an old friend (HS sweetheart) who happens to be a gastroenterologist. I emailed him just to get his perspective. He was very reassuring and basically, everything my gastro doc said, I had heard from my old friend. I have two blogs, actually. I haven't mentioned anything about
HCV on my original blog (I have a different user name). I feel like I still want to keep it fairly private. so, I guess I have two lives right now. Strange, I know.

Thanks, again for your insight...

D said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
pixie said...

Merry Christmas Chris from all your Nomads friends...have a happy healthy 2009...Px

www.hepcnomads.co.uk

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
上課 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.