Sunday, February 04, 2007

In the air


I'm traveling on business. I was trying to work on some drawings, but the turbulence on this flight is too bad to do anything that requires working with a mouse. So, I'm writing this in a text editor that only requires hands on a keyboard.

This is my second trip in three weeks. Last month I was in Chicago and Milwaukee. I've been working on that project since July. It was a slow-motion train wreck, but seems to be getting better. The solution sold to the customer was impossible. Neither the customer nor the sales team talked to the technical teams. Hint: To move a data center you don't back a truck up to the old data center, load it up, and ship everything 1000 miles to the new data center, and move everything inside. There are things to go wroing. What if something doesn't come up? Are you going to ship it back? How about a scenario involving a truck in a river? I work for a big company, and they can get stuff pretty quickly from the vendors. But it isn't likely to arrive fast enough to keep from doing a lot of damage to the business.

A realistic solution eventually emerged, but the dates from the original contract were totally whacked. My job is to plan the transition piece. Implementing those plans takes it into another stage, so my piece is done. The Boss popped up in my online chat window on Wednesday. "Looks like you're done with {customer}. Be in Virginia on Monday. Here's the guy you need to talk to for details." Cool. I have family in Virginia. I'm traveling a day early and will watch the Super Bowl with them.

Recovery continues. The itch has pretty much subsided, but I notice that my lips are still swelling like they do sometimes when I eat cantalope. I'm continuing to take antihistamines with a break every couple of days to see whether it's still an issue.

The most noticeable lingering side effect is the hair. My barber recently took on a regular job (it was time for a job with benefits) and I went to a new one. I had not been to this shop before and the girl cutting my hair commented how thin it was. As my previous barber said, the only thing to do is cut it short.

Battery dying. Time to go.

1 comment:

Not Blank said...

How are you doing now 6 + weeks later?