Saturday, October 21, 2006

Countdown Enters Single Digits


Last night I took 38 of 48. I now have 9 to go. I'm exhausted. The week has been rough, but better since Friday when the Procrit started kicking in. I take another one on Sunday. I've never looked forward to a shot before. Well, I'll take it back. I also looked forward to my first one back in May.

The house is chaos. My in-laws are here for Eldest Daughter's 18th birthday. Mother, step-dad (they've been married about 30 years), Head Wife's sister and her step-daughter. I get along okay with them for the most part. There are moments though. Last night SIL was all bent out of shape because Eldest had been working and then failed to spend enough time with Auntie to suit her. Eldest was wiped and taking it personally — she was in tears. I finally had enough and stepped in. Enough. Eldest is exhausted and you're doing nothing to help. I'm not going to have somebody come under my roof and push my kids around. So there. It settled things down. SIL is kind of cool toward me today. I honestly don't care.

We did have a nice evening. Went to an Italian restaurant that serves portions that are far too large. Having spent time in Italy, I can say that I've been to maybe three restaurants in this country that offered even an approximation of Italian food. This was not one of them, although it was a fair meal.

Anyway, we had the family, the inlaws, friends from church who sponsor the youth group at church, friends of Eldest, including a young man who dreams of a baseball career. That's his dream, but he's smart enough to have a plan B. He gets good grades and has alternative career plans.
I'm not sure how interested Eldest is for real, but he's got it bad.

As you might expect, the car was a huge hit. Head Wife had bought her a purse that she liked and had put a few useful things in it — lip gloss, Tic-Tacs, car keys, Kleenex. She was pretty shocked. I'd been extra grumpy and kind of naggy this week. She had no clue that was on the way.

There's a frightening drama unfolding in Ron Metcalfe's Hepatitis C forum. A woman in the forum has been talking for the past couple of days about her husband who appears to be in the midst of a psychological breakdown. He's having murderous and suicidal ideation. I'm terrified for them both. He needs a ride in an ambulance to someplace where he can be monitored and treated. I saw the post and was the first response. She has been frightened but hadn't called outside help in last I saw. I have a new respect for the drugs used in this treatment.

It's late. I'm fading fast; should have been in bed an hour ago.

No comments: